A good week


I’ve had a good week. For a few reasons.

  1. Paul is hosting another Blog Carnival this month, in which my post on “10 good things about falling apart” features. 🙂  Twelve months ago I never would have thought I’d be good enough to participate in such a Carnival, let alone write the post that I wrote and actually believe the progress that I have made. Yay for me, I say! There are some really great entries in the Carnival, so I encourage you to check it out.
  2. My mother stayed with me this week. Quite unexpectedly, this wasn’t the usual recipe for disaster. Mostly I enjoyed her company, and she was able to help me with a few things I hadn’t been able to do myself, plus we were able to get out and do a few things which were fun. She also seemed to have a better handle on her caustic tongue. And even when she didn’t I was able to let things wash over me. For the most part, anyway. To her credit, she even said a few nice things – like telling me a new top I was wearing looked “nice”, that some of the photos I took were “good” and that seeing a dietician was a “good idea”. This might not sound like a big deal, but for her, it is. She’s the type of mother for whom nothing is ever good enough. When I was a kid and I brought home 90% on a test, she’d ask where the other 10% was. No need to say this had a lasting and fairly damaging effect on my self esteem (though my father’s mockery was always much more insidious).
  3. It seems that therapy is working more of its magic, as I continue to make progress in ways I would never have believed. Things that I’ve wanted to do for a long time, but couldn’t even contemplate a year ago, are now becoming possible. Things like travel (or at least planning to travel), volunteering (at least planning to volunteer) … and even some goals for the year (beyond “get out of bed every day”). In amongst my goals are two things I have been too scared to do for over a decade. They look pretty silly when I write them down, but here goes… before the year is out, I want to wear a dress and some heels. Yep, you read me right – I want to look like a G I R L !!! 😀
Advertisements

9 thoughts on “A good week

  1. That’s incredible Kerro. It is so inspiring to hear of your progress with your mother and the effects of therapy magic. Can’t wait to hear about the dress and heels.

    di

  2. Yes!!! Sooo happy for you (… oh hi, officially delurking myself …).

    When you get there, know that some days, dresses and heels can make all the difference. 🙂 I went through a stretch of time when I was working at the animal shelter (and thus wearing grub-wear every day), where every one of my days off meant skirts and heels and fitted tops. And it was awesome! I’d completely forgotten about that trick … so thanks for the reminder!

  3. Hi Kerro. Glad you’ve had a great week. Your mother seems to have really made an effort – which is pretty amazing. Great that your horizons are expanding and more possibilities are coming into view.

    Bearfriend xx

  4. Yay… what a good week! You really are taking some huge steps in healing… it’s really good to see 🙂

    I’m glad your Mum was more positive towards you… I really like your goal of a dress and heals…

    Take care,
    CG

  5. Wonderful Kerro!!! I am glad to see you are having a good week! You are most welcome for featuring your post in the Carnival. It deserves its place there. And what you have to say is important.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s